Ready for a software development career by learning foundational coding skills, front-end and back-end best practices, database creation, and responsive design principles. The Software Developer program from Professional Workforce Development sponsored by Southern Adventist University offers you the ideal opportunity to get trained and ready for a fast-growing information technology career. Software development jobs are expected to see significant employment gains over the next several years, with jobs projected to grow by 26%. And through our Professional Workforce Development programs, you can get qualified for entry-level roles in this field in approximately eight months.
WHAT IS THE SOFTWARE DEVELOPER PROGRAM AND WHAT CAN YOU ACCOMPLISH AS A STUDENT?
The Software Developer training program is an online curriculum that consists of 10 courses over the span of 33 weeks. During this time, students will gain the skills that are essential to launching their careers in this in-demand field. Developed by industry experts, the Software Developer training program covers a wide range of information, including setting up databases, cloud deployments, and coding from scratch.
By learning key programming languages, techniques, and practices used in the technology industry, software developers are proficient in building applications and websites of all types.
Through a combination of expert instruction and hands-on experience, students who complete the program will grow into their new role as creative problem solvers who are ready to develop, upgrade, assess, and document software.
Software developers earn some of the highest salaries of all technology professionals and, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor and Statistics, the median income for professionals in this field was $110,140 in 2020.
The job opportunities are truly limitless, as nearly every industry relies on skilled software developers. Students in this program will become proficient in critical thinking, problem solving, teamwork, and time management. In addition, you’ll gain tangible experience building full-stack web applications using front-end, back-end, and database development as an Agile Project Team.
As a graduate of this program, you can expect to bring a variety of programming and coding skills to your current or future career, which include:
- Coding from scratch
- Utilizing back-end development to program server side applications and RESTful Web API’s using Express, ASP.NET, or Spring
- Creating databases using MySQL and MongoDB
- Using Responsive Design to produce mobile friendly applications for iOS and Android
- Working with an Agile software development team, which is used in most workplaces today
Coding from Scratch
Front End Foundations
Front End Frameworks
Back End Foundations
Mobile Apps & Responsive Design
Agile Project Management & Career Skills
Deployment & Web Security
Choose from several flexible options for completing the Software Developer certificate program:
- Register for the full program and save 14%
- Start with Track 1 and stack remaining tracks to manage cost over time
- Tracks may be taken out of order, but we strongly recommend you take sequentially.
Featuring tiered pricing – the more you stack, the less you pay per track!
- First Track Purchase = $5,600
- Second Track Purchase = $4,620
- Third Track Purchase = $3,780
Contact your Workforce Training Specialist for more details on the Software Developer tracks.
Gain a robust understanding of programming languages to design and build websites, computer programs, and apps.
- Coding from Scratch
- Front End Foundations
- Front End Frameworks (React)
- Front End Frameworks (Angular)
- Create robust web apps and code structure for large, client-side web projects
- Learn front-end best practices and Single Page Web Applications (SPA) with either React or Angular frameworks
Gain fundamental database and programming skills. Learn to use MySQL and MongoDB to design tables & collections.
- Database Foundations
- Programming Foundations-JAVA
- Programming Foundations-C#
- Learn how to design, store, & manipulate databases. Students will work with both rational (SQL) & non-rational databases
Learn how to program server side applications & RESTful Web API’s using Express, ASP. NET, or Spring.
- Backend Foundations-JAVA
- Backend Foundations-C#
- Create server-side web apps & services with choice of Express, ASP .NET, or Spring
- Explore Responsive Design principles and create a mobile-first experience to be used on mobile apps (iOS/Android)
- Mobile Apps and Responsive Design
- Agile Project Management and Career Skills
- Deployment & Web Security
- Group Project
- Explore Responsive Web Design principles and create a mobile-first web experience
- Manage software projects & teams, learn roles & responsibilities as well as the Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC)
- Understand the process & benefits of deploying a web application to a cloud hosting provider
SOFTWARE DEVELOPER JOB POSSIBILITIES
As the tech industry expands, the employment market for skilled software development professionals is growing much faster than average. In fact, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics sees strong continued growth in the software development field and predicts the number of jobs will increase by about 22% through 2030 with an estimated 189,200 new jobs opening up in the field each year over that period.
The career opportunities available to program graduates span across several industries, such as technology, government, healthcare, and retail. These jobs include but are not limited to:
$41,000 – $90,000
$39,000 – $97,000
$80,000 – $116,500
SOFTWARE DEVELOPER PAYMENT OPTIONS
In addition to the following payment options, we offer special corporate volume pricing. Visit the Corporate page for details.
Many employers have education programs or will pay for continued education! Select “Corporate Invoice” if you need an invoice to process payment through company training tuition assistance/reimbursement plans.
Download the free brochure below to your HR representative or manager and show them the benefits of gaining additional education!
DO YOU NEED HELP PAYING FOR YOUR CERTIFICATION PROGRAM?
Many employers offer education assistance programs. Download the brochures to show your employer the benefit of upskilling their employees.
MEET YOUR WORKFORCE TRAINING SPECIALIST!
Less than 8 months
No. This program does not count for college credit. For college credit programs related to this field, visit southern.edu/computing.
No prior experience in the technology industry or education in technology is required.
INTERESTED IN ANOTHER CERTIFICATE PROGRAM?
Founded in 1892, Southern Adventist University provides a quality, Christ-centered undergraduate and graduate education to approximately 2,700 students each year. Caring professors, hands-on training, and a wide selection of academic options prepare students for success, as demonstrated by our graduates’ impressive job placement numbers and high median starting salaries. Located in the foothills of the Smoky Mountains, Southern’s 1,300-acre campus features nearly 40 miles of hiking and biking trails, a top-notch fitness center, and much more.
INVESTING IN A SOUTHERN DEGREE
Investing in a college degree is an important decision. Southern’s traditional degrees offer financial aid options for students. Learn about Southern’s Student Finance Options.